The Key to Healthy Teeth and Gums
Plaque is the sticky colourless film of bacteria that constantly forms on your teeth. If it is left to build up, it is one of the main causes of tooth decay and gum disease. To keep teeth and gums healthy, the key is complete plaque removal every day.
Follow these simple instructions and you'll be off to a great start:
- Brush your teeth, gums and under braces at least two times a day (especially after eating).
- Floss between the teeth at least once daily - and definitely before you go to bed.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste - fluoride is proven to help prevent cavities.
- Use a fluoride mouth rinse at least once daily to help reduce the risk of cavities. We recommend that this occur at night, as the product needs to remain on the tooth surface.
- Use disclosing solution or tablets to test you are cleaning effectively (it is OK to use this product each night if you gain better results from seeing where the plaque is)
- Try to carry your toothbrush and interdental brush (triangle brush) with you at all times, so that you can clean your teeth even when you are not at home.
Remember – we have tooth brushing basins at the Practice, so you can clean before your appointments!